Monday, March 24, 2008

Critiques---To Get or Not to Get, That is the Question

Allow me to start with a story, please.

As a writing major in undergraduate school I had two professors; I adored both of them--Matt and Milt. They both liked me, so no problem there. However, they disliked each other. Possible reasons for this are irrelevant to this post, so I'll spare you. After a while, I noticed a pattern with my writing and their critiques, and I decided to check it out.

At the time, poetry was my genre-of-choice, so I prepared the same 10 poems and gave each professor a copy. Since they really didn't talk to each other much, there was little chance of them figuring out my test.

I waited. I brewed. I chewed my fingernails. I walked in circles. I ate chocolate. Finally, the verdict came in and I received my critiques on the poems.

Matt liked five of the 10 poems. Milt liked the other five. Go figure.

But I learned a really important lesson early on in my writing career: a critique is valuable, but it isn't 'the final and only word' on the subject.

Although I'm addressing writing at present, the same goes for any feedback you might get---photography, dance, visual art, melodies, advertising copy, anything creative.

Creative output is subjective. The response to it is subjective. Every viewpoint is 'right'---which doesn't make yours 'wrong.'

The value of critique is to get feedback, not judgment. If Matt and Milt had both liked the same five poems---or even two of the same poems and trashed the rest---I'd have had some incredibly useful information. And two excellent poems.

When you have a number of people read (or look at) your work, and they agree on the same problem---then it's time to fix something. If they disagree, then take all the criticism back home, let it sit a few days, or at least hours, and approach your piece with a clear mind. See how the suggestions fit with your own feelings and vision of your work.

Don't change something just because another person tells you to---no matter who that person is. Not even your mother, though if yours is like mine, she's probably right!

YOU, and only you, are the final word on your creative work.

I belong to a number of critiquing groups. They are always helpful. But I don't make every change that everyone suggests. First of all, that's impossible, as people, like Matt and Milt, disagree. Secondly, because I don't agree with all of the suggestions. And, thirdly, I'm stubborn.

There's a scene in one of my murder mysteries that most of my readers dislike. It's in the middle of the book; I hadn't planned it; the characters did it even when I wanted them to stop; it's not pretty. But I'm not ready to take it out, mostly because it was so organic to the process of the story as it was being written. Will I let it kill a publishing deal? No way. When a potential publisher says, 'take the *&^in' scene out'---trust me, it will be in shreds on my office floor. But until then, it stays. Because I'm the writer---and I say so.

So, yes, go get critiqued. From people you respect. From people who do your same art and who are better than you are at it. From people who know your artform. From people with similar world-views and life-agendas.

Then take all the suggestions home. Put them aside. Take a bubble bath. Go dance. Have chocolate. And the next day, spread them all out across your desk and pick and choose the ones that make the best sense and feel right and make your work even more yours.

--Batya

5 comments:

elysabeth said...

I really like how you drive it home in the last two paragraphs. This is so true in any creative area. You can't please all the people all of the time and use only what is the most helpful to you and makes your work more your work. You have given some pretty awesome advice here - thanks - E :)

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Very good advice. I'd go a step further and say learn not to lean on feedback as your barometer. Trust your creativity and your own personal creative expression and share with someone who will recognizes what makes you unique as an artist.

Rain-drop said...

This is a very inspiring post. You have an excellent point about rightness being subjective.

I have recently been learning this lesson as I am critiqued in my Fiction Writing college class. You are right - the author gets to pick and choose what changes fit their "vision of the story" as you so eloquently put it.

It is nice to see someone being so thoughtful about writing. :)

Can I throw out an ad for my writing blog? Sorry, I just can't resist. Mine is:

http://inksplurge.blogspot.com

Shakier Anthem said...

So true. Also, when you're part of a group for long enough, you start to get a sense of who has a similar aesthetic to you, who really tends to get your work and who doesn't. The ones who are more likely to be your target audience might get a little more weight.

There always seem to be some people in a workshop who try to take every single suggestion given to them; they don't have enough confidence in their work. And there are others who never want to listen to suggestions, but instead try to explain why they did something a certain way. Finding the balance between these two extremes (by listening respectfully to your critics *and* your own inner voice) is definitely the goal.

Anonymous said...

""the characters did it even when I wanted them to stop""

I love this. This is what it's all about, it's what makes you a real writer--an author.

Sometimes I am compelled to forgo something I should be doing: to get back to writing the story so I can find out what happens.

This is an inspiring thread.

Dave Norem