Thursday, October 2, 2008

Definition of "Goal"

While reading Dan Miller's excellent book, 48 Days, I once again came across the accepted definition of "goal," which is, simply put, A goal is a dream with a timeline attached. Recently, a coaching client asked me a similar question: Don't all my goals need time determinations?

I've been thinking about that. For a while, I'd accepted that definition, but something just didn't feel right. Today, sitting on the sand in Long Beach, NY, I realized what my problem with it was.

Attaching a time determination to a goal is left-brained, and only half the story.

Sure, having a time for your goals in mind: 5 years, 6 months, etc. and then adding the smaller steps to your weekly and daily list of do-ables is essential. Especially for charting, and for the left brain.

There's a danger, though, in defining a goal as attached to a time limit. What happens when life intervenes and you miss your deadlines? Have you failed at your goals? Obviously, the answer is a resounding "no." If you renegotiate your timeline, does that mean you're redefining your goals? Again, I'd say "no."

So I don't think a timeline is the definition of a goal.

I think the definition of goal is:
A goal is a dream with commitment attached.

Once you have the commitment, the timeline, the do-ables, the actions within the reality of your days, weeks, and months are all tools to use to get there. And commitment is as much a right-brained activity as it is left-brained. Commitment is a whole-brained approach to defining "goal."

I'd love to read your thoughts and responses to this redefinition of "goal."

--Batya

2 comments:

elysabeth said...

I like your definition as it makes the whole goal issue seem achievable. If you commit to it, then it doesn't matter how long it takes to achieve the goal, you are going to do it because you are committed to it. Lifelong achievements and you have something to show for it by being committed and not giving up because you set a timeframe to achieve the goals. You only set yourself up for feeling like a failure if you don't meet your goals at the timelines you set. I would rather be committed and work through the daily doables than feel worthless by not achieving whatever goal it is in a certain period of time.

Good definition - my new mantra - a goal is a dream with commitment attached - E :)

Rain-drop said...

I enjoy your definition of goal more than that "official" definition of goal.

Commitment is the important factor of goal-making, that this is something you definitely want to make happen. It's not that you want to make it happen BY a certain time. No, it's that you REALLY WANT to make it happen and won't let it go!

Interesting post. :)